LDR 391: Global Perspectives on Leadership, Morocco
For more information about the program, contact Director of Leadership, Dr. Dave Houglum, at email@example.com.
Applicants will receive priority in the application process for this course if they are participants in the Leader Certificate Program and have or are currently taken LDR 225.
Students who are Freshmen, Sophomores, and Juniors will receive priority in the selection process, due to course elements occurring after the experience in Morocco. If you are a Senior, please be in contact with Dr. Dave Houglum to explore what might be possible.
This course is open to students of all majors.
Here is a short video created by past Carpe Diem Education students who traveled to Morocco that will give you a sense of what the program is like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRPCwWh5tf8
Click here for a brief picture slideshow of the Morocco program!
In the spirit of developing leadership for the common good, the Leader Certificate Program offers a global leadership academic course in Morocco. Learn about leadership, migration, women’s empowerment, and environmental awareness through cultural immersion, service, and outdoor adventure! The Global Perspectives on Leadership course (LDR 391) involves three phases of instruction: classroom instruction, field experience, and community/social justice outreach. This three-credit course will be offered beginning in Spring Semester 2020 for enrolled students participating in the subsequent phases of the course. This three-credit course begins in Spring Semester 2020. Students in the course will travel to Morocco during May 2020. Students who successfully complete all requirements for this course will receive the distinction of “Emphasis in Global Leadership” on his or her Leader Certificate upon completion of the Leader Certificate Program.
- Phase I (Spring Semester 2020): The classroom phase and orientation to global leadership and development of intercultural competencies needed for the immersion in Morocco. Faculty will provide the academic, reflective, and experiential foundation for the summer course.
- Phase II (Summer 2020): Global leadership immersion and service-learning in Morocco. This will include an approximate 3 ½ to four-week immersion in Morocco. During the students’ experience in Morocco, students will participate in the following academic requirements; a written reflective journal, BLOG postings, a cultural research project, culture seminars, and nightly reflections. A partnership established by the University of Portland with Carpe Diem Education will help coordinate logistics for this phase of the course and be available to assist and interact with the students.
- Phase III (Fall Semester 2020): Students will be responsible for a final written paper incorporating key theoretical ideas and their field experience in Morocco. Participants will debrief and reflect deeply on their academic and experiential undertakings in Phases I and II. Students will be encouraged to implement educational and service-oriented activities related to Morocco and its influence on leadership, culture and life at the University of Portland and beyond. Students are also highly encouraged to take follow-up courses and engage in activities that will help process their experience and better comprehend their role in serving as leaders and positive agents for global justice. Post-immersion assessment tools will be administered, collected, and evaluated.
- Understand and practice the seven leader character habits and key concepts of leadership theory through an international experience.
- Develop a deeper awareness of leadership strengths and practice leveraging those strengths in a global setting.
- Develop and express an ethic of accompaniment, curiosity, compassion, and gratitude while interacting with others
- Recognize components of other cultural perspectives and worldviews and use them while initiating and developing interactions with others (GILO Level 2: World Citizen)
- Recognize new ways of seeing components of one’s culture that inform/influence one’s worldview, values, beliefs, and expression of leadership (GILO Level 2: World Citizen)
The experience in Morocco is focused on leadership and migration, women’s empowerment, and environmental awareness. Students will receive the opportunity to be immersed in Morocco, engaging with Moroccan leaders who are making a difference in their communities. Highlights of the experience include the UNESCO World Heritage City of Fes, trekking in the Atlas Mountains with one of seven licensed female guides in Morocco, exploring the famous “blue city” of Chefchaouen, homestays and cultural immersion in Ait Ourir, studying immigration and learning with and from refugees in Oujda, taking a ferry across the Strait of Gibraltar to Spain, and much more!
*Itinerary Subject to Change